Saturday, March 15, 2008

Book Review : Nice guys finsih second

I first heard name of this book when I was in class 5. During preparation for all those numerous general knowledge competition I heard name of this book and author which of coures I dutifully crammed.
My age, society, school or city - none of them enabled me to understand what this book was and what it was about.
I had forgotten completely about this book as our media has a flavor to celebrate authors who have some glamor quotient . B K Nehru had none ,it is a different matter that at one time he was the best known man to US administration .
Another point which went against BK was though he was an old man but he was not aloof from modernity as against other Indian leaders and statesman he had a proper understanding of world of finance and international politics. I have read autobiographies of Nehru, prasad and among bureaucrats Haksar & Dharmavira and all these men though great they were were blissfully ignorant of larger world and I think this has been India's problem from time immortal.

Next I read BK Nehru in a book on north eastern states in which in the chapter on Nagaland one ex HT journalist who had made nagaland his home lambasted BK Nehru for his approach to solve Nagaland problem. Next I read about him in Jagmohan's "My frozen turbulence in Kashmir". Jagmohan;s approach was curious .He was not lambasting BK but at the same time to show that he improved state's administration says previous men who dealt with Kashmir were inapt. But when one proceeds further in book and Jagmohan laments that during governorship when there is an elected CM , there is not much to do I understood that even BK did not have much option before him.
I don;t have the book with me now but i highlighted important parts in the book for which I think future reader of that library book will not forgive me so as a penace I wil ltry to make best use of my memory and write a review or my impressions of the book either chronologically or topic wise.

No comments: