Saturday, March 20, 2010

My IIM Lucknow GD PI experience 2007

Posting after results but nevertheless might be useful for next yr's batch.
Profile :
X- MP board 86.2 ( with 100 in maths & 99 in science)
XII - MP Board 84.66
B TEch in electrical & M tech in Instrumentation & minor in ECE from IIT KGP - 7.83/10 ( 2006)
Working with L&T since June 2006 as Mangment Trainee. Executive assistant to GM

15 April - Hotel Monarch - Panel 3 - Morning session

Reached Just in time after Auto whcih I took did not know where the Hotel Monarch was.( I was staying with a friend in Indiranagar).

There were people for four panels.Seemed like Mela.

GD topic: In business situation Rearview mirror is clearer than frontview.
mirror
5 minutes to write your thoughts before GD. Did a good job as this was a repeat topic ( thanks pagalguy). Mentioned some real incident from my worklife.

10 minutes for discussion. One very loud fellow jumped the gun & he kept on interferring with everyone like but we should not forget. After a time it was repetion & people starte talking aobut mangment books & theories.
Came twice or thrice tried to support guys who could speak less. Becoz of this bully some other people also got agitated & whole GD was destroyed but here my work expereince came to my rescue & i made only orginal points & otherwise kept mum.Tried to stick to what I had written in sheet already.

Interview : 9th guy to be interviewed so long wait. APnel 1 was very fast & they had finsihed when 7th candidate was being interviewed in ours. while panle 2 was slowest .Ours was okay.

When entered was asked to latch the door .
two people : P1 I guess Mr Panigrahi who is MTEch in agri from IIT KGP.
other fellow I did not get time to see his face as he was engrossed with my certis.
P1: U r from indore why it is famous?
I told aobut Indore being Namkin capital & potential as iinvestment hub .Why not developed & then
P1;who are NRI & PIOs?
A sequel to first question as when I told him aobut destination of Indore's namkeen exports.
P1: who is Vindod Gupta? About VGSOM? Why is KGP famous?
I said railway staiton , IIT , Air bases nearby , Tata bearing factory but he kept on asking anytihng else .Seems was trying to stress me out.
P1: difference between B Tech & BE?
once agian tried to stress me.
Then they started looking for some mangment course which I had taken.Zeroed on Human behaviour In organsiation.How it is different form organisation behaviour?
First I said they are same ,then said no & tried to justify.
P1: ( sequel to earlier question) what is tactic? what is strategy? are they same ? & endless stream of quaetions but I stood my ground after giving one opinion.
P1: u r with Medical SBU.why it is called SBU? how it si different from OD?
Gave him good funda aobut L&T organisation structure but gave wrong answer as to why we switched to SBU model.

P2: first time looks out of my certificates .So waht is nature of your work?
I promptly put forward my work exp certificate detailing my responsibilites.
( it was helpful though they did not ask for one)
Then said you are anyway doing what we wil lteach you or what you will do after MBA?
I gave usual gyan & pitched in with example of one M&A study I had done at workpalce.


I nhindsight Ithink Lgive mroe importance to your profile & percentile astheir form si also very short which does not tell anything aobut you.

PS: I made it to L finally.